I’ve had a recent realisation that I need to kick my weight loss into gear. I’ve been slacking, and it definitely shows. One way I find to help me get my ass in line, is to plan! By planing, I actually mean looking at what I eat each day, preparing it, and sticking to just that. This only works if you actually have meals that you want to eat.
The most recent thing I’ve made is this Asian Broccoli Salad. Inspired by multiple recipes online, I’ve come up with my own that tastes delicious and clocks in at less than 400 calories per portion. It’s fresh, spicy and filling. Which is a winning combination, right?
Asian Broccoli Salad
- 1 x Head of Broccoli
- 4 x Spring Onions (sliced)
- 100g of Edamame Beans
- 1 Fresh Chilli (diced)
- 50g Chopped Peanuts
- 1 cup of Pearl Barley
- 1 tablespoon of Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Hot Sauce
1. Put the Pearl Parley on the stove, boil for 10 minutes and simmer for 30 until cooked. I seasoned mine with some salt and pepper, but this isn’t essential.
2. Chop the broccoli into small pieces, a boil for around 10 minutes until soft.
3. Combine the spring onions, edamame beans, chilli and peanuts in a boil, then add the cooked broccoli and stir.
4. To make the dressing, mix together the soy sauce, peanut butter, hot sauce with a dash of water until runny.
5. Now all you have to do is serve. Place the broccoli mixture into a bowl, alongside the barely. Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
How easy was that?! It takes hardly any time to cook, it’s basically just waiting for the barely to go soft. This recipe actually works really well as meal prep, and the ingredients above will actually make 4 portions! You can of course adjust the recipe accordingly, and i’d urge you to just have fun with it. Add what you like, and remove what you don’t It’s really flexible and can be adapted to anyones taste.
Would you eat a salad like this? Let me know in the comments below!
Also let me know if you’d like to see more recipes!